• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sleeping to Much, Why?

Hannah Capps

Let the Redeemed of the Lord Say So
Hey all,

First off I'm kind of confused sort of as to why I've been sleeping all the time...Some facts that I know for sure...

1. I'm off of my anti-psychotic medication
2. I'm tapering off of the diet pills that I have been on for the last 10 years (5 mg one pill 2 times a week as opposed to much more in the past)
3. I'm highly depressed, and was on the anti-psychotic medication in the first place because my depression was/is resistant to just anti-depressants alone (I'm still on my anti-depressant for the record)
4. About 2 months ago I fasted for about a week on liquids only, and it reset my hunger levels...I still eat, but I fear it isn't enough (some days when I'm awake more it is, but these days are rare)

Whats strange is that when I return from my usual 45 min. walks with the dog I'm more wiped out then when I began...I suppose it makes sense? I'm at a loss, aren't folks supposed to be energized after a vigorous workout? Not wiped out in all sense of the word? Even my dog is worried about me, its sad she licks my face a lot and wines (even after I've fed watered and walked her) She is aware something is up as am I...As for the sleeping itself I usually Stay up from 3am-10am around 10am I grab breakfast do the chores of the morning for the dog and house hold walk the dog etc...Take a shower etc...Around 11am I'm wiped out and go to bed and sleep until 6pm...I wake up sometimes to pee but thats about it...So thats hard core sleep from 11am-6pm...I wake up around 6:15-6:30pm to eat a light dinner and say hello to the family who is wondering wtf is going on with me...I ignore there questions because frankly I don't have the answers to them...By 8pm I hit the hay again until 3am when I wake up again and start the process all over again...There will be some 'normal' days, but they are not many in number...This has been going on for the entire month of June 2010, and now here it is July 10th, 2010 heh, I'm losing track of time the days melt into one another...Anyhow, if anyone has any ideas or input as to why this may be going on, and or if I need to see the doctor about it? I'm not sure, I don't want to waste there time...I do feel in some way that I'm trying to avoid things, and sleep is the (least destructive way) to do so, it beats slashing open my skin with a knife any day...Still, I think the sleep is a tad much...Thanks for reading my drivel...ZZZZzzzz

3. I'm highly depressed

You answered your own question man. Get your depression under control and the other problems will go away.

See another doctor if you have to, but do everything you can to get it under control.

is your depression caused by certain factors in your life, or by a chemical inbalance in your brain,

why were you on diet pills so long

and why are you going off your anti-psychoatic medicaiton?(although the medication most likely makes you more sleepy)

is your depression caused by certain factors in your life, or by a chemical inbalance in your brain,

why were you on diet pills so long

and why are you going off your anti-psychoatic medicaiton?(although the medication most likely makes you more sleepy)

To answer your questions Fluffykins,

1. I was on diet pills in the beginning to attempt to lose weight...I have several eating disorders...after a while it became an addiction and that is why I stayed on them for so long...

2. I'm off my anti-psychotic medication because it caused excess hunger, I've been off of it for 2 months and haven't been nearly as 'starved' as I have been in the past...I still am taking my anti-depressant...

3. I have high functioning autism and the depression, eating disorders, and cutting etc...Are offshoots of untreated autism and no early intervention...I was diagnosed at age 20 (I'm 26 currently) a tad late...

I believe I have an answer to my own question...I sleep to escape the screaming and yelling (yea I can sleep through it thats how often it occurs and thats how awful it is)...I hear mom (she's an RN) yelling to dad more and more about how its not healthy for me to sleep the days away and more bull I can't make out...When I am awake in the morning I take my anti depressant and other medications, walk the dog, do the chores for the day shower and head back to bed...I say what is needed to the parents and do not engage in long conversations with them, because they've made it clear they do not wish to have long conversations (or any outside of small talk) for that matter...When one of them has something that needs to be done, say they went to the store and need help putting away things, I do this but head back to bed after I'm finished...I'm not in there way and help them for the most part when they need help...I do not know what more I can do...Parents don't even offer praise or a fucking pat on the back for things that I work hard to do to please them...Hell no that would be asking way to much! I've not been eating as much and trying to work on my binging (and have lost about 20 pounds as a result)...They don't utter a word, not a peep...Its as if they expect me to believe that there silence is good enough praise and go on with 'life'...I've asked them on numerous times to come to a therapy session with me, try to talk things out...The answer is always no in one way or another...So why should I stay awake? They don't give me any reason to want to be in there company and awake for it...I'm aware the excess sleep isn't healthy...Nether are the things I've spoken about above...I figure I'd employ my least destructive 'coping mechanism' sleeping through the bull...I'm not saying something I'll regret later on, and I'm giving them what they want, me out of there hair...So, they in turn (outside of me helping them with things) can leave me the hell alone...Its the least I ask...

its very true, when you sleep, theres nothing there, sometimes if i dont wanna go home ill find an excuse to go do soemthing waste money instead of facing my problems, my avoidance issues are a main factor why i am not wher ei wanna be in my life right now,

which diet pills were you on? were they perscription?

maybe you're just tired. I would get a job and move out but I know that can be easier said than done.

maybe you're just tired. I would get a job and move out but I know that can be easier said than done.

word.

You need to live for yourself, not for your parents, their approval etc.

If you're majorly depressed you are going to sleep a lot.

Do you see a therapist or a doctor at all? Have you told them about any of this?

eesh! some of what you said could be me talking a year or so back. I went through a few years of those barmy sleep/wake phases and extreme tiredness etc you mention. At the time I never once was truely awake, it was as if I was trapped in a stage between comatose and wakefullness forever. I felt like an alien or everyone else did to me at least, they still do but in a 'normal' way now lol. I never took any meds for it, it took time but I eventually got my head together, I started to accept a lot of things I previously couldn't & see things from another perspective ;-). Great shame when parents fail to understand or are just plain ignorant. Probably know what I'd recommend to help you out.... but give yourself plenty of time, don't feel any guilt about being depressed. Would add more but I'm typing this on my phone, hope you start to feel better soon :).